02 October 2012

Trust issues


Trust Walk, one of the popular team building exercises.
The word trust can a man's strength and his weakness at the same time. According to Merriam-Webster Dictionary online, trust is an assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something. Trust is as fragile as walking on thin ice, one wrong move and you will find yourself falling into an icy water. Just like the team building activity we did (see photo below), we tried to put one of our members through a "live wire". As the person being placed through the "live wire", s/he has to trust the people helping her/him to pass through it. The hardest part is to trust someone with our life.

The "Live Wire" activity using a thin rope.
One of my Business Management professors once mentioned to our class that when it comes to business, we have to "think maliciously". Few years later, I find myself taking his words of wisdom seriously and use it in my personal life. It took me a long time to figure out that his unsolicited advice can be applied to our careers, relationships and personal issues.

According to a quote by Robert C. Solomon in FinestQuotes.com: "we also confuse trust with familiarity". That is one of the mistakes I made in my career. But I know better now. You see, trust needs to be earned. As the cliche goes, it takes years to build up trust, and only seconds to destroy it. And it took me a few tries and (sometimes) a background personality check to trust one person.

Yes, reality bites. So give your trust to someone you can really depend on.

More trust quotes in FinestQuotes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment