26 June 2011

Marketing Makes Sense

Let me quote from Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
1
a : the act or process of selling or purchasing in a market
b : the process or technique of promoting, selling, and distributing a product or service
2
: an aggregate of functions involved in moving goods from producer to consumer

---

There's a certain professor at the Indian Institute of Management in India who has an interesting way of explaining the marketing concepts to his students using a scenario that will make you go "That's so true!" 

Here is Marketing in a nutshell:

You see a gorgeous girl at a party. 
You go up to her and say: "I am very rich. Marry me!" 
- That's Direct Marketing.

You're at a party with a bunch of friends and see a gorgeous girl. 
One of your friends goes up to her and pointing at you says: "He's very rich. Marry him." 
- That's Advertising.

You see a gorgeous girl at a party. 
You go up to her and get her telephone number. 
The next day, you call and say: "Hi, I'm very rich. Marry me."
- That's Telemarketing.

You're at a party and see a gorgeous girl. 
You get up and straighten your tie, you walk up to her and pour her a drink. 
You open the door of the car for her, pick up her bag after she drops it, offer her ride and then say: "By the way, I'm rich. Will you marry me?" 
- That's Public Relations.

You're at a party and see a gorgeous girl. 
She walks up to you and says: "You are very rich! Can you marry me?" 
- That's Brand Recognition.

You see a gorgeous girl at a party. 
You go up to her and say: "I am very rich. Marry me!" 
She gives you a nice hard slap on your face. 
- That's Customer Feedback.

You see a gorgeous girl at a party. 
You go up to her and say: "I am very rich. Marry me!" 
And she introduces you to her husband. 
- That's demand and supply gap.

You see a gorgeous girl at a party. 
You go up to her and before you say anything,
another person come and tells her: "I'm rich. Will you marry me?" and she goes with him
- That's competition eating into your market share (-pak! competitive much?).

You see a gorgeous girl at a party. 
You go up to her and before you say: "I'm rich Marry me!" your wife arrives.
- That's restriction for entering new markets. (lol!)

---

See? We can apply Marketing in our daily lives. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment